Tuesday, April 9, 2024

TRIAPA #8 Response: Tales from the Valley: Stone Special 1

Response to Tales from the Valley: Stone Special 1

This was a great Twine story; spoilers follow for those who haven’t read it.

Initially, I climbed the cliff and was slain by the bird. Subsequently, I opted to wait before my ascent. Having acquired the axe, I climbed once more, this time saying the bird. After, I made my way to the bloody altar, where I swiftly ended the suffering of my twin there. The events that unfolded after that left me somewhat confused. After dispatching my suffering twin, I was swept away by the ocean, only to awaken in my hut, having survived the ordeal.

This narrative was really engaging. I persisted despite my character's demise. It made me think of Genndy Tartakovsky's "Primal." For some reason I was imaging South Coast English beaches. 

Incidentally, my wife Nicole has a profound interest in Twine and Choose Your Own Adventure stories. Her dissertation actually focused on the form; it analyzed the now-defunct website that facilitated the collaborative crafting of Choose Your Own Adventures:  Protagonize.com. Despite its closure in 2017, the site remains a cherished memory. 

Here is more information (if interested): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protagonize

The prose within the story was excellent. Would love to read/navigate a longer narrative. I think that the prehistoric setting of sword and sorcery is supremely suited to the Choose Your Own Adventure/Twine format. The inherent tension of the survival genre--teetering on the precipice between life and death--is heightened by this interactive format.